Educators: Try It
Exploring Your Own Ideas about Science Teaching and Learning
Take a moment to draw (or visualize) teaching taking place in a science classroom. As you draw consider the following:
- What is the teacher doing? What about the students?
- Are there any expressions on the teacher's or students' faces? Are they saying anything?
- How can you tell if students are developing an understanding of science?
- Are the students interacting with each other? How?
- What is the physical setting?
Similar to those who participated in our study, we anticipate that visitors to this website are likely to generate a variety of representations of teaching and learning science.
We've selected three drawings from our research as examples. As you view the drawings consider what each suggests about the teacher's thinking about science teaching and learning.